We have a room in our home that sits empty about 355 days a year…it's our dining room. It is typically only used for birthdays, holidays and an occasional dinner guest. A favorite past use when our kids were little is being demonstrated here, climbing on the table and destroying the centerpiece (isn't baby Ryan cute??).
So we decide to start a new tradition, which will allow us to use this room an additional 52 times per year. We are now having Sunday dinners in here each week. We have the kids all help to set the table, we make them eat with napkins on their laps and use the proper "please" and "thank you's". We've been doing this new tradition for a few weeks and are really enjoying it. Hopefully our children will develop enough manners to attract future wives someday ;-).



6 comments:
My in-laws did the same thing and I always thought I would carry on the tradition...but I didn't. It takes waaay too long to hand-wash all that dang china and silver! I admire you for doing it--makes having a dining room worthwhile!
Jodi: I didn't say anything about using the china & silver....those are still reserved for special occasions ;)
What a great idea... I hate having a dining room that just sits there and rarely gets used. We may have to try this. (With 'regular' dishes of course... I've never owned silver and china :).)
Cute idea. I have the same thing with our dinning room, maybe we will try it out
We actually knocked out a wall and put in french doors to connect the dining room to the kitchen, we eat in there whenever dad is home. I LOVE family dinners and they happen about 3 to 5 nights a week. (We have rules too...like no cel phones or DS's or i-pods etc....)
That is such a great idea! I love your centerpiece, so cute!
Post a Comment